Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Literature + Gossip Girl






Last night's episode of Gossip Girl was a visual and literary wet dream! With the student production of Edith Wharton's novel The Age of Innocence, the thesis of the show was really spelled out: the story of a closed high society New York City. Lately I've been really into reading F Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway (who palled around Paris together – along with other unapologetically wealthy American ex-pats – with unlimited bank accounts and nothing more to do than attend extravagant parties, swoon other equally handsome people, and create art. So I was really excited to see a similarly-themed literary masterpiece brought to screen with a Gossip Girl filter. I've actually got Age of Innocence and House of Mirth in my bedside stack of books to be read soon. I love revisiting the classics from high school now with more time to savor each page. 

No comments: