Thursday, September 24, 2009

Graffiti in Rio






Here are a bunch of photographs I took while I was in Rio. I completely forgot about them and then got sucked into looking at all my photos from this past year and remembered that I never posted about them.

Rio is one of my favorite cities I've ever been to. One of the things that stood out was the amazing graffiti. The city commissions artists to paint the streets instead of your regular old delinquent graffiti artists. And what's really cool is when they graffiti over the art. Unfortunately I didn't think to photograph it until later in my trip. But I started tracking this one artist that I just love. And of course have no clue who he/she is, but really adore the style.

1 comment:

Philistine said...

There's a whole Marxist riff here on things the Brazilian gov't pays people to do. Samba schools in the favelas, for example, are gov't-funded.
Combine this with the observations of those who participate in Carnaval, spend the entire year preparing for it, and describe it as "fantasy" and "escapism," and a cynic's view is that gov't art is an opiate for the masses v. philanthropy. Idle hands and all that.
The result is the same, however, and is beautiful. And if the NEA comes a'knockin' I'll have my hand out, even if it is to bribe me away from full-on jacquerie.