Monday, November 23, 2009

Dreamy bookcase




Whenever I'm thinking about redecorating the pad, the first thing I dream about is how to organize my books. I have a few book cases and then baskets and baskets and drawers full of books. And these are the ones I simply can't part from. My one dream, which has become a mandate when the day comes that I move into a house, is a wall with built-in book cases, and a ladder of course. The ladder completes the fantasy. But I'd also love to have a big old stately looking case, as a statement piece. Even if it houses my favorite paperbacks it would be beautiful. Obviously this one here would never be a reality for me, but something inspired by it perhaps!

***
An 18th century painted breakfront bookcase based on designs by Thomas Chippendale and possibly by Wright and Elwick. Locks and hinges original. This bookcase owes much of its inspiration to Thomas Chippendale’s designs published in the 1754 “Director” (plate CVI) with their spirited interplay of Rococo, Chinoiserie and Gothic motifs; however the cabinet maker’s application of these design motifs are here realized in a more exuberat and playful way. The cabinetmakeing firm of Richard Wright and Edward Elwick was the most prominent in Yorkshire in the second half of the eighteenth century and their country house work prospered particularly in the 1760’s. The patronage that this partnership received reached the same level as Robert Gillow’s firm based in Lancaster and London. Some of Wright and Elwick’s most reputable clients.

No comments: