Tuesday, April 13, 2010

You don't have to be married to make crepes


For some reason I used to think that you had to have a crepe maker to make crepes. And in order to have a crepe maker you had to have a wedding and register for the fancy thing. But no! They are the easiest things to make in the world! Toast may be the only thing easier to make than crepes. 

Well, I had an enormous tub of strawberries to use and was tired of my usual makeshift parfait for breakfast every morning. So I thought strawberry crepes would be the perfect thing. So here's how I did them:

For the crepes:
•  1 1/3 c. whole milk (I used half and half because that's what I had in the fridge)
•  1 c. flour
•  3 tbs. butter, melted
•  1 tbs. sugar
•  1/4 tsp. salt

Spray some non-stick in a pan (I never have this stuff, so I use clarified butter), pour some batter in the pan, cook, cook, flip, cook and transfer to the plate.

For the strawberry conconction:
•  a slew of strawberries, washed and sliced
•  sprinkling of sugar
•  confectioner sugar
•  cinnamon
• clarified butter (optional)

Now I completely made this up and it is so simple and delicious. I always start the bottom of the pan with a little bit of clarified butter. Something grandma always did, and mom always did, so I do as they do. You probably don't need it, it's just more out of habit and I didn't want to strawberries to get stuck (not that they would, because they're wet already).

Add the sliced strawberries to the pan and sprinkle with sugar (I use organic cane sugar). I would estimate a teaspoon perhaps? Then sprinkle with cinnamon. Toss around until they're warm and you get a lovely syrup starting to develop.

Pour the mixture into the crepe, fold, and top with remaining strawberries. I sprinkled that with a tad of powdered sugar.

And voilá! Crepes de Nicole.


No comments: