Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's tabbouli




This is not your Tata's, or your grandmother's, tabbouli. It's mine. But I think it's better! As you can see, it's super colorful, which according to mom means it has lots of vitamins and nutrients. You're never going to see carrots, or beans, or even radishes in restaurant or Whole Foods tabbouli.

My overall advice for making tabbouli is you can never really have too much garlic. And add whatever produce you have in the fridge really. Everything tastes great with lemon juice and garlic.

This recipe is to serve about 4. My husband had one bowl, and I had three. (Side note: tabbouli stores in the fridge for a couple days because parsley doesn't wilt and only gets better because everything soaks up the juices.

Here's what you need to make the tabbouli you see here (I'm estimating just about everything here, so use your creativity and taste buds):
A bunch of parsley (curly or flat is fine)
3 cloves of garlic, not the wimpy ones
1 carrot
3 radishes
1 tomato
A few pods of fresh fava beans
1/4 bulgur wheat
A few pieces of purple cabbage, cut in slices
Dried mint
Lemon juice
Salt
Olive oil

Directions:
Heat up some warm water and let the bulgur soften up for 10 minutes or so. Crush the garlic into the bottom of the bowl. Top with a few glugs of lemon juice, don't be stingy. Sprinkle with salt, about a 1/4 tsp. Chop the parsley (not too fine, but not too chunky) and add to the bowl. Add the remaining chopped veggies and beans. Drain the bulgur, pressing it to be sure little to no excess water makes it to the bowl. Sprinkle tabbouli with about a 1/4 tsp. of dried mint and a go-around or two of olive oil. Mix it all up and enjoy.

This recipe (in addition to my salad) really changes depending on what I have on hand. I like to use cucumbers, peppers and palm hearts if I have it. So play around and see what you like.

I served it with a toasted pita and halloumi cheese sandwich. 

No comments: