Sunday, February 13, 2011

J'taime

Red velvet cupcake, palmier cookie and an eclair

Foie gras paté

White fish with basil, lemon & capers
An array of french cheeses, with baguette and fig jam
Lamb Provençal


Cooking club night is my favorite night of the month. Good food, good wine and good friends. It's happiness overload. I hosted last night's cooking club and the theme was French food. Since I got back from Paris, I'd been dying to try some new recipes and see if it were actually possible to sit at the dinner table for 4 hours. And it turns out it is!

Unfortunately I didn't capture each and every course, the wine made me a little a.d.d. But the idea for the meal would be a traditional french sequence of six courses: hors d'oeurves, fish course, main course, salad, cheese and dessert. Well, things didn't turn out as planned because I didn't realize the lamb was going to take 1 1/2 hours to roast. So we ate a little out of order but it all turned out exquisitely. Each person was assigned one course, and Miya and I did the main: lamb provençal with roasted tomatoes and a side of roasted beets with tarragon. I intended to do another side of fingerling potatoes but the leg of lamb fill the pan and there wasn't enough room, and frankly not enough room in our tummies.

Here is the recipe for the lamb, I made a couple of amendments, but nothing major. And here is the recipe for the roasted beets:

Ingredients
8 beets
1 cup water
ground sea salt & pepper
1 tbs. champagne vinegar
1 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. chopped fresh tarragon

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Place the beets in a 10 by 8 inch baking dish, add the water, and cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake the beets for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until they are tender throughout (poke the beets with a knife or toothpick to test them). Remove the foil, allow the beets to cool, and peel them over the sink. Their skins will rub off very easily. Slice the beets thin or into wedges and season them with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss the beets with the vinegar, olive oil, and tarragon and serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Parti said...

j'taime ladies who cook!

La Cadena said...

Cooooooking Club?!?! FUUUNNNN! I want to be part of a cooking club! Especially one that looks so hip and fancy like yours!!! To-do number one when I return to the states!