Thursday, February 3, 2011

Spiced apple & berry oatmeal


Your beloved (albeit anti-commital) blogger is back. And I think I can promise I'll be back for good. But let's not make it official or anything. First off let's notice that I'm not using my iPhone to document food! This is part of the Oh My Golly 2.0 upgrade. Perhaps fewer posts, but better photos. So here we go.

Today is my third, yes THIRD, snow day of the week. Dallas has been blessed/blanketed with a beautiful sheet of ice causing persistently hazardous driving conditions. And by the third day I'm tired of bumming around and seeing how many different concoctions I can make with a baguette. The roof of my mouth is suffering. More on that later.

Today I bring you my favorite oatmeal that has evolved over time and can be made super quickly and thrown into a plastic bowl and brought to work. It's inspired by my oatmeal cherry cookies that I posted a while back. A looooong while back.

Ingredients:
1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. water or milk
1/2 green apple chopped
1 tsp. brown sugar
dash of salt
dash of saigon cinnamon
dash of ground cardemon
milk (optional)
toasted nut of your choice
dried cherries

Directions:
Bring one cup water or milk to boil with a dash of salt. Add oatmeal and apples. Simmer for a couple minutes and set aside. Add the rest of the ingredients and voila. In the picture above I used a pink lady apple and toasted walnuts since that is what I had on-hand.

Goes good with:
Darjeeling tea with milk

Side note. I'm in the middle of watching a fantastic documentary called The Art of the Steal. Thanks for the rec, Sergio. Here's the trailer:


No comments: