Monday, February 7, 2011

A super bowl sunday indeed


For me the Super Bowl isn't about the football, or the commercials, or even the tight butts in the brightly colored pants. It's about the food. Since Leo was at the game, my brother and I made a feast for two.

This chili is a true labor of love. So leave plenty of time, and have lots of patience. The house is going to smell so wonderful that you're going to want to dip into the pot throughout the day. But it will be worth the wait.

Since I followed this recipe nearly to a tee, I'll simply provide the link. It's another gem from food52. Here are a couple of tips/suggestions. 1) If you live in Dallas, the bulk section at Central Market is a great alternative to buying bottles of spices you may only use once or twice. This recipe calls for quite a few spices, and instead of spending $9 for a bottle of Mexican oregano, you can get the exact amount you need for a nickel. 2) Ask the butcher to trim the short ribs. I spent approximately 30 minutes trimming the meat and it wasn't fun. And finally 3) The night before do the following: roast the red pepper (I opted to roast my own since I didn't have a jar of them, and soak the beans.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it.


No comments: