Monday, March 7, 2011

Fettucine is fancy


The lights of my life are the teenage girls I hang out with every Monday night at Our Friends Place in Dallas. Instead of me helping them with their Precalc homework, they teach me things like the difference between perms for black people and white people, how you can die in a hot tub from botox, and how fish have sex. The other week I was telling them about how Leo took me out on a date to our favorite Italian restaurant and I ordered the same thing I always get, lobster ravioli. One of the girls yelled out "You can't get ravioli on a date! That's not even fancy! You have to get fettuccine!" So here I give you a simple, yet fancy, fettuccine with lemon and olive oil dish adapted from Smitten Kitten. Make this now while citrus is in season!

Ingredients
1 pound fettuccine or spaghetti
Salt
3 lemons
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil , plus additional for serving
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup), plus additional for serving
Ground black pepper
Small handful fresh basil, shredded

Preparation

Cook fettuccine in well-salted water to your al dente tastes in a large, wide-bottomed pot.

While pasta is cooking, zest lemons until you have a little shy of a tablespoon of zest. Juice lemons — you’ll have anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice.

Drain pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups of pasta cooking water. Dry out your pot, then boil the olive oil, cream, zest and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water together for two minutes over high heat. Return pasta to pot and stir until coated. Add the cheese and 1/4 cup lemon juice and toss, toss, toss everything together. Add more pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, if you’d like your dish a little looser. Quickly taste a strand of pasta and see if you want to add the remaining lemon juice (we did). Stir in basil or arugula and season generously with salt and pepper.

Serve immediately, drizzling individual portions with a bit of extra olive oil and sprinkling with extra Parmesan cheese.

6 comments:

Tressa Ann said...

I LOVE simple, classic pasta recipes like this one. I may just make this this week....got citrus galore in these parts! :)

Tressa Ann said...

Oooops, this is Becca! My silly friend Tressa left her gmail logged in on my comp! Sorrrrrrry!

Nicole said...

Becca, you're such a comment tease. But yes, make this. It's so yummy. I made it with brushetta with red and yellow tomatoes. Let me know how you like it! Xo.

Ms Haider said...

you have a food blog?!?!

Nicole said...

I do, it's kind of a new thing. I had a blog for a while, but it never took off or really felt productive, until now!

Bartenders License Online said...

Well good for you. This is such a wonderful blog. The food is like Becca said, Simple, Classic and really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Certification.