Thursday, March 24, 2011

Guinness Chocolate Cake


Of course I run into my svelte spaniard yoga instructor in the baking aisle at Central Market while I'm debating between superfine sugar and cane sugar, with a cart full of Guinness, butter and cocoa. Meanwhile his cart is full of cantelopes, watermelons and two jugs of spinach juice. I hope you're not reading this, yoga instructor man, if you are hola and see you in class tonight!


I made this cake for my brother's 27th birthday. We gathered at one of our favorite bars, Vickery Park, for good food and libations, so I thought it fitting to make a beer cake to complement. Surprisingly, this cake doesn't taste beer-y, contrary to my licking the bowl taste test. It's also very moist, because of the sour cream. And don't even get me started on the frosting. As my friend Kaela says, anything with cream cream and more cream must be good. FYI, don't eat cake batter, drink leftover Guinness and go running. Not good!


From Feast by Nigella Lawson
Yield: One 9-inch cake (12 servings)


For the cake
Butter for pan
1 cup Guinness stout
10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/8 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups superfine sugar (I have used regular granulated sugar with no ill effects)
3/8 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

For the topping
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream

For the cake
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper. In a large saucepan, combine Guinness and butter. Place over medium-low heat until butter melts, then remove from heat. Add cocoa and superfine sugar, and whisk to blend.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add to Guinness mixture. Add flour and baking soda, and whisk again until smooth. Pour into buttered pan, and bake until risen and firm, 45 minutes to one hour. Place pan on a wire rack and cool completely in pan.

3 comments:

sheila @ Elements said...

I've never had a cake like this before but it sounds wonderful!! Looks pretty too! :)

Nicole said...

Thanks, Sheila!

Mater said...

looks sinfully good! can't wait to try it! awfully nice of you sis to make that for your bro!