Sunday, March 13, 2011

How to Hook a Husband Pineapple Upside Down Cake








My Mom swears that this cake is what hooked my Dad. Although I put my money on her tight flannel shirts and double D's (hi Mom!). I've only made this cake on my own a couple of times, but when I saw the big, bright pineapples on sale at Central Market, I gave in.

So thank you cake, and mom, and dad for bringing me into the world, 30 years ago this week.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
Fresh pineapple sliced or cubed, drained on paper towel
maraschino cherries (cut in half)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla


Preparation
Beat together sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla. Measure all remaining ingredients and blend
1/2 minute at low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl constantly.
Pour into prepared pie plate as above. Bake 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
(Be sure that middle is cooked) Invert onto plate. Don't wait! Then leave pan over cake for just a few
minutes. Serve warm if desired.

No comments: