Thursday, March 31, 2011

Smoky Kale Chips & Lemon Mayo



This morning I ate a cupcake for breakfast. It was chocolate with pink icing. It was delicious. And was extra yummy with my cup of coffee with cream. As my punishment, I came home for lunch and made these. Kale is so hot right now (said in Mr. Mugatu voice). And oh so good for you. If I had a garden I would grow it. 

So far I've blended it, sautéed it, added it to soup, eaten it raw (not my favorite), and now baked it (probably my favorite). When I imagined kale chips, I thought of hearty chips, like sweet potato chips. I don't know why. But these are almost flaky and delicate, kind of like Lay's potato chips. And you'll think you're eating potato chips. I couldn't keep my hands off the pan just as they came out of the oven.

These are so simple and quick to make. As I said I made them on my lunch hour. 

Kale Chips
Serves 2
Kale (about 1/3 the bunch)
Olive oil for drizzling
Smoky Spanish paprika, a pinch
Course Mediterranean sea salt
Course black pepper

De-stem kale and rip into 1-4 inch pieces. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper. Toss. Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes, until they are crispy.

Lemon Mayo
This is really eyeballed and made to taste, so adapt this to the amount of people you are serving. 
2 tablespoons mayo
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine these ingredients, lick the spoon and dip away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy and healthy! will make some today since I have 1 bunch of fresh Kale in the fridge! thanks for sharing!
mater

tasteofbeirut said...

You know I tried to make these once and did not care for them! maybe it was the seasoning but I am open to trying it again!

Nicole said...

@joumana: I actually think less seasoning is more. I did one batch with a pinch of paprika and one batch with just salt & pepper, and mixed the two. Olive oil, salt and pepper is really all you need. Let me know if you try them again!

Miya said...

Did you mean 375 instead of 475? My oven nuked these in 6 min at 425. Will do again this weekend at 350 and see what happens.