Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spicy Pickled Carrots






While at coffee with my friend Jill:

Jill: "What are you doing today?"
Me: "Pickling carrots."
Jill: "That's it?"
Me: "Yes."

Now that I'm 30, I've got to take things slow. Like one project a day slow. So after coffee and my favorite pastry ever, the cherry pinwheel at Eatzi's, I headed over to Central Market to pick up the goods for pickling carrots. Let me tell you, this is a seriously cheap activity and leaves your fingertips a beautiful shade of yellow. Okay, back to my trip to the grocery store. I was in the produce section picking out my carrots, but they only had the orange ones. So I bugged one of the employees and asked if they had any other varieties in the back. Always ask if you don't see what you want! One time I got a secret stash of Texas spinach from the back. Anyway, so the guy brought out this big beautiful bag of these purply orange farmer's carrots. And best of all, since they only had that one big bag, which was not enough to put out, I got them compliments of the house. So besides the free carrots, I bought a 98 cent bottle of white vinegar, a few spices from the bulk spice section (totaling around 27 cents), and the jar of jalapeƱos (around $3). By the end of it all I felt all olden days-y and thrifty. Like the Amish.

I got this recipe from my friend, Winston. Yes, that is his name. He flies planes, pickles carrots, and is single. So ladies, inquire within.

Ingredients
3 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced at an angle into 1/4 inch thick pieces loaded in a
GLASS, sealable container. Leave an about an inch or two at the top for liquid and
peppers.

3 whole cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
1.75 cups white vinegar
10 Turkish bay leaves
25 peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
1.75 cups water
6 oz. whole pickled jalapenos
2tbsp Mexican Oregano

Preparation
Bring vinegar to a simmer on stove in a pot. Add garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, oregano and salt. Bring to a simmer for 6
minutes. Add water and jalapenos and bring to a simmer again for another 10 minutes. Let mixture cool until you’re comfortable pouring it into the container with carrots – the idea is to blanch the carrots. If any spices are left in the pot, use a spoon and add back in some liquid to the pot and re-pour back into the glass container. Discard the bay leaves if desired – personally I leave them in there. Carrots will keep in the refrigerator indefinitely (or at least I have eaten them before
they’ve gone bad).



6 comments:

Rebecca!?! said...

I'm inquiring within. Haha, jk. ;) Buuuuuttt, ummm, yeaaah, I sure do love pickled things! Love this post! The carrots are GORGEOUS! And so are your photos!!

Nicole said...

Thanks, Becca! That means a lot coming from a real photographer. Take that, Dean Randazzo! Remember him?

Lisa (Homesick Texan) said...

Those are stunning!

Mater said...

made them!!!! love them!!! interesting & unique addition to any sandwich/meal along with all the other fresh veggies... sliced tomatoes, bell peppers, cukes etc. My pantry is getting quite diversified! So glad I took my canning talents to a new level this year. thanks sweets for the inspiration! Mater

Winston said...

So, I recently had a dilemma. I love eating these carrots, but the rounds are so inconvenient. So I made another batch, only instead of making rounds I made spears. Now I have a delicious afternoon snack that I can grab right from the jar. I'm adding that as an option to my new version of the recipe.

Nicole said...

@Winston: I eat them by the spoonful! A pickle party is in order.