Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Zataar Pie & Creamy Smoothie


Already before writing this post, the photos remind me of that "Stick a Bird on It" episode of Portlandia. Only I'm sticking a rose on it. Why? 1) These photos needed color, otherwise it'd just be a bunch of tan food and 2) the smoothie really has rose in it, well rose water. It all has an ere of grandmother-y-ness though. Right? You can tell me.

This weekend was a giant blur of laziness which consisted of a mass amount of highfalutin cinema, including but not limited to Princess Diaries, Mean Girls and of course my all-time favorite, Save the Last Dance.  Sometimes it feels good to do nothing and eat 5 Mexican coconut ice cream bars, a bag of jalapeƱo potato chips and a bowl of Special K for dinner. And then out of guilt you shove a handful of spinach leaves in your mouth. It's all about balance.

Sunday morning I made this. That pizza looking thing with seeds on it is called manaeesh, and I honestly have no clue how to spell it as it's a Lebanese food. I know some people spell/say it menushi, but that just isn't right. If you go to an arabic restaurant (outside of Dearborn, MI), they just list it as zatar pie, so I think I'll just call it that. When my grandmother goes to Lebanon, which is about once a year, she brings back a huge stash of this. You can also buy it at the middle eastern markets. In case you live in Dallas, try Sara Bakery. I completely cheated on this and used dough from Jimmy's Italian Food Store, added the topping and baked. Depending on how large you want your pie determines how much zatar to mix with olive oil until you reach a sort of spreadable pasty consistency. Bake at 375 until the crust becomes golden. I served the zatar pie slices with the following smoothie. Don't skip the rose water. It makes your mouth happy.

For the smoothie, serves 2
Ingredients
2 cups soy milk
6 ounces greek yogurt (I use Fage)
2 tablespoons almond butter
6 pitted medjool dates, chopped
1 tablespoon rose water
2 teaspoons flax seed oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Preparation
Blend all ingredients and enjoy (especially the chunks of dates at the bottom of your glass)

1 comment:

Mater said...

Your manaeesh is making my mouth water. It looks so good! Reminds me to ask Tata to bring us some freshly ground zater from Lebanon, the only zater your grandma will use. I love the sesame seeds and the unique tangy flavor! Gotta chuckle when I see you've taken a shortcut using Jimmy's prepared dough. I'll type up & email how I make the dough from scratch. You'll be surprised how easy it is! Proud of you sweets!