Friday, May 13, 2011

Girl Next Door Mushroom Risotto

I would be lying if I didn't say that reading Eating Animals hasn't affected me. The only problem is that lately I've been a slow reader. And so as a result, I've been kind of a flip flopper on the whole topic. Vegetarian one day, shoving ham in my face the next. Suffocated by the guilt of eating cute little fuzzy creatures one minute, planning to make roasted chicken with artichokes and white wine the next. Who am I? I don't know. I'm trying to ween myself off meat perhaps by just eating it a couple times a week. And on one of my successful vegetarian days I made this lovely mushroom risotto. The reason I call it girl next door is because I use, as you can see here, plain 'ol button mushrooms that I had left over in the fridge. No wild porcinis or morels or chanterelles here. I ate a big bowl of this with a side arugula salad with tomatoes and parmesan and a light dijon sherry vinegarette dressing. So I dedicate this recipe to you, my sweet angel, Marissa, who's encouraged me to include more vegetarian dishes to the blog. I love you!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoon olive oil
3 shallots, chopped
12 ounces mushrooms (any kind will do), sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 cups arborio rice
3 14 1/2 ounce cans vegetable broth
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
additional parmesan cheese for topping

Directions

Bring vegetable broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep broth hot. 
Melt 3 tablespoons butter with olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add wild mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender and juices are released, about 8 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Add Sherry and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add 3/4 cup hot vegetable broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining hot vegetable broth 3/4 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh thyme. Serve warm.

No comments: