Monday, May 16, 2011

Tuna Tonnato & Eggplant Salad

Happy Monday! I'm in an especially good mood as the weather this morning is 60 degrees and sunny. And it's May. In Dallas! I even rode my bicycle in to work which I really don't do often enough.

This past Saturday I celebrated my first hippie Christmas (as my husband calls it). This is what he refers to as the day we get our veggie bin from Urban Acres Market. I was so excited all week to see what I'd get in our first batch of goodies. So excited in fact that I woke up at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning, brushed my teeth and headed out to my pick-up location. But oh, they don't open til 9:30. So I spent a lovely hour drinking coffee, eating a big fat almond croissant and perusing the latest FD Luxe.

When I got home I immediately began tearing through the bin. Lettuce, cabbage, swiss chard, sweet potatoes, oranges, onions, strawberries, carrots....and eggplant. Eggplant? I've never made a single thing with eggplant in my life. After a few minutes of research on Epicurious I found this recipe for Tuna Tonnato & Eggplant Salad. And luckily it called for everything I already had on hand.

Since this is a rather straight recipe from Epicurious, I'll just add a few notes here. 
  • As you can see I used fresh eggplant, as opposed to jarred which the recipe calls for. I sliced it, drizzled olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper, and roasted it in the oven at 400 degrees, about 10 minutes on each side. I actually think I wasn't supposed to slice it, but rather cut it long-ways and roast face up. Oh well, it still turned out fine. 
  • For the croutons I diced a day-old baguette and toasted the cubes
  • I didn't measure the lemon juice (let's be honest, I didn't really measure anything). I used half of one organic lemon, zested and juiced. Always use organic lemons when zesting. You don't want pesticide in your zest.
This is definitely a feast for sharing. But only share with your anchovy loving friends. They are the coolest ones.

7 comments:

Brandon said...

Nice Post! Glad I found this blog!

If you're into photography, check out my blog. I'm a photographer!

www.electricbrandon.com

If you want, follow it and I'll do the same. Thank you. :)

Marissa said...

As it turns out, I don't care if there's pesticide in my zest.

Miya said...

deelightful

Denise said...

I looove eggplant. Particularly when you use it to soak up flavors and not just oil! I'll have to try this. I have an interesting Italian eggplant dish on my blog, too, if you have any e-plants leftover. We should start calling them e-plants.

Nicole said...

@Marissa: You would eat pesticides. They compliment the flavor profile of Parliaments.
@Denise: I concur, e-plants it is. Sounds futuristic.

Mater said...

Wow! Nothing short of spectacular! this looks so delicious and so very healthy too. Can't wait to try it. I am so happy & proud that you followed through with joining the Urban Acres Market "local & organically grown" club! Your body will love you for it! Way to go Nicole!

Janel said...

Another sardine post! I love it! You have a new blog follower in me :)