Monday, June 6, 2011

Cauliflower Steak with Quinoa











Dear Quinoa,

I'm Nicole. Hello. It's a pleasure to meet you. I can't believe it's taken me this long to try you out. I passed you in the bulk section of the supermarket, but was alas distracted by the candy two steps away. I also thought you were for hippies and thought I wouldn't like hippie food. But it turns out I love hippie food! And for one meal I can say "I'm vegan" which sounds really cool and pretentious and stuff. I look forward to our future culinary adventures together.

Yours always,
Nicole


From the Wall Street Journal

Ingredients
2 heads cauliflower*
1 cup quinoa, well-rinsed
1 granny smith apple (peeled and diced)**
2 shallots, sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon chives, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme

Directions
Make the quinoa: Sweat 1 cup quinoa in a tablespoon of olive oil, add 2 cups vegetable stock and simmer over low heat until thick. About 20 minutes. Cover and set aside.
Make the cauliflower: Cut 1-inch steaks from the largest part of the cauliflower heads. In a pan, roast the steaks in olive oil and season with fresh ground sea salt and pepper until golden brown. Wrap in tin foil and keep in oven at 200 degrees until ready to serve.
Make the cauliflower sauce: Cut the remaining cauliflower florets and blanch in salted water until tender (about 3-4 minutes in boiling water). Drain and spread florets on baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, until florets have dried. In the pan used to roast cauliflower steaks, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, shallots, garlic, leek, apple. Add cauliflower florets and season with salt and pepper. Pureé until smooth. The leftover you can use in a stock for soup.
Assemble the dish: 
In the pan with the quinoa, drizzle olive oil and add 1/2-1 cup cauliflower sauce and 1/2 cup vegetable stock, thyme and chives. Fold together until smooth. On each plate, lay down bed of quinoa, top with cauliflower steak. I also sautéed a diced zucchini and placed around quinoa. 


*I only used 1 head cauliflower because I was making this for two people
**By the photos you can tell I forgot to peel the apple before I diced it. It really made no difference at all.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Damn hippie!

Nicole said...

Marissa: Every time I post a vegetarian recipe it's dedicated to you, my angel.