Saturday, June 25, 2011

Classic Hummus

I know you won't believe me when I tell you this, but this was the first time in my life I've made hummus, without my mom's help. I should have my Lebanese heritage membership card revoked! Don't tell the consulate, or ambassador, or whoever's in charge. And also don't believe what anyone tells you, hummus is Lebanese! It's not Israeli, no sir. But nice try.

4 or cloves garlic and the juice of one lemon
Soak 1 cup dried chick peas overnight. Then simmer for two hours in water. Or else use 2 cups prepared chick peas.
There's like no mess.
Serve with toasted pita and lots of fresh veggies.
Ingredients
1 cup dried chick peas* or 2 cups prepared chick peas
1/2-2/3 cup tahini
4-5 cloves garlic, mashed with salt
1/2 warm water, or water reserved from boiling chick peas
juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste
Paprika

Directions
Add all ingredients to food processor and process until smooth, adding water if needed, and purée until smooth. Add more lemon if desired. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle paprika. 

*If using dried chick peas, soak 1 cup overnight and simmer for two hours or so, until cooked through.

No comments: