Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pesto and the Perfect Baked Potato



























One of my favorite things about where I work is that everyone loves food. We love to eat food, talk about food, share food. Foodie food food. That word looks really weird after I type it so many times. Anyhoo, a woman I work with has a basil tree in her backyard and was generous enough to give me like a pound of it. After eating tomato basil mozzarella sandwiches for three days in a row I decided to use the rest of it to make a pesto sauce. I'd never made pesto before. And it's so incredibly easy to do. I intended to eat some with baked potatoes, and save the rest for a pasta. However the husband and I sat in front of the television, eating potatoes and pesto, one after the other, until it was all gone. As usual I really didn't use measurements, and neither should you. I think it's impossible to mess up.


Pesto
Ingredients
2-3 cups packed basil
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts (may substitute walnuts or slivered almonds)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend to a smooth paste. May add parsley if desired.

Perfect Baked Potato
Ingredients
Potatoes (duh!)
olive oil
sea salt

Directions
Scrub each potato and stab with a fork a few times. Lightly dip each potato in olive oil and coat with your hands. Don't overdo the olive oil. Keep it light. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about an hour, more or less depending on size.

2 comments:

hapi said...

Hi Nicole, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Emily Miller said...

Love your blog! Your Pesto & the Perfect Baked Potato recipe looks delicious, can't wait to try it out!