Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rhubarb Slush


I think the best part about belonging to a co-op is the element of surprise. The other best part is figuring out what to make with all of the food, especially things I'd never used before. Like rhubarb. If I was a farm maiden with all the time in the world (it's true that farm maidens do just idle around looking pretty, right?) then I'd make a lovely rhubarb pie. However a farm maiden I am not. So I needed something quick to make. And Leo was like, "Duh, add vodka to it." And so we did. Actually he made these, I just photographed. 

When Leo was 17 years old, he came to the U.S. as an exchange student and was placed in a small town in South Dakota named Selby (population 700). So small in fact that just because he played soccer in Brazil growing up, he was assumed to be talented on the football field as well, and was thus made field goal kicker. Leo. A football player. Yes, this happened. Anyway, there is a point to all this, I swear. Ah yes, the rhubarb slush! Well during our last visit to see his host family, we were fed copious amounts of house-smoke meats (the best I've ever had), and these deliciously refreshing rhubarb slushes. They are the perfect accompaniment to a family picnic or poolside barbecue. Just keep them virgin for the tots.
Isn't he handsome? I love this photo. Taken on our road trip in South Dakota.
Leo and I with his host parents
The whole family and the pup
















































































And now for the recipe, care of Leo's god-daughter, Rea
Ingredients
8 cups rhubarb (1 stalk= about 1 cup)
2 quarts water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 ounce package strawberry jello
2 cups vodka (optional)

Directions
Cook the rhubarb in water until mush. Add the sugar, lemon juice, jello and freeze. (Optional) Add 2 cups vodka to keep the slush from freezing. Serve with 7-up.

No comments: